Ariel Motor Company releases details on their all new, ultra-high performance, range extended, electric sports car project - HIPERCAR.
Standing for HIgh PERformance - CArbon Reduction, the project is destined for full release in 2019 and Ariel production in 2020 alongside the Atom and Nomad. As with other Ariel vehicles, the focus of HIPERCAR is on extreme performance, agility and usability, now coupled with zero and ultra-low emissions. To be available in four wheel drive and two wheel drive variants, HIPERCAR will offer staggering performance utilizing cutting edge technology.
Phase 1 of the project, undertaken by Ariel with partners Equipmake and Delta Motorsport, will demonstrate both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive prototypes and will be shown at the Low Carbon Vehicle (LCV) Show at Millbrook on 6 and 7 September 2017.
HIPERCAR, with a model name yet to be decided, is not just an Ariel production car, destined to be one of the highest performance and sought after vehicles in the world, but also a launchpad of UK developed technology into other niche, medium volume and ultimately high volume production.
The car is a Series Hybrid EV (Electric Vehicle) featuring a 750 Volt, 42 kWh or 56kWh, lithium-ion, cooled and heated battery pack which is charged, when required, by a 35kW micro-turbine range extender, negating any range anxiety issues and making the vehicle independent of any charging infrastructure.
HIPERCAR will be available as a 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel rear drive, full bodied car, the final exterior design of which is to be released at a later date. Based around an aluminium folded and bonded lightweight chassis with full rollover protection, the structure features aluminium front and rear subframes carrying aluminium wishbones and outboard adjustable suspension. Forged or carbon composite wheels carry 265/35/20 front and 325/30/21 rear tyres.
Powered wheels are driven by inboard motors via integral, single speed step-down gearboxes direct to driven wheels, with each individual motor developing 220kW (295bhp) and 450Nm (332 ft lb) of torque.
In 4 wheel drive total power is therefore 880 kW (1,180bhp) and in 2 wheel drive form 440kW (590bhp).
Total torque is 1,800 Nm (1327 ft lb) at motor and 9,900 Nm (7301 ft lb) at the wheels in the 4 wheel drive HIPERCAR and 900Nm (664 ft lb) at motor and 4,950 Nm (3651 ft lb) at the wheels in the 2 wheel drive car.
The vehicle’s electrical architecture consists of high and low voltage systems linked by multiple CAN networks enabling the Powertrain Controller, Vehicle Dynamic Control Interface and Battery Controller to communicate and interact with 12V and safety systems.
Pricing will not be finalised until later in the project. Simon Saunders said, “Like other Ariels we want HIPERCAR to represent excellent value for money for the remarkable performance on offer. It will be an expensive car because of the technology involved but when compared to £1m+ supercars, which it will outperform, it’s going to represent excellent value for money. This is the first true electric supercar that will cross continents, drive to town and lap a race track”.
Ariel HIPERCAR - a milestone in automotive history.
- 0 – 60 mph: 2.4 secs
- 0 – 100 mph: 3.8 secs
- 0 – 150 mph: 7.8 secs
- Top speed: 160 mph
- Inboard motor per wheel with integrated gearbox and inverter
- 220kW / 295bhp per motor
- 450Nm / 332Ft-lb per motor
- 10,000 RPM
- Epicyclic Gearbox with driveshaft
- 5.5:1 gearbox
Total vehicle power:
4 Wheel drive:
- 880kW / 1180bhp
- 1,800-9,900Nm / 1,327-7,301Ft-Lbat the wheels
2 Wheel drive:
- 440kW / 590bhp
- 900-4,950Nm / 664-3,651Ft-Lb at the wheels
- Unleaded gasoline fueled turbine with generator.
- Start up speed 30,000rpm
- 120,000rpm running speed
- 35kW power generated
- Cell Chemistry : Lithium Ion
- Capacity = 42 kWh
- Nominal Voltage = 680 V
- Peak Current = 1200 Amps
- Liquid cooled.
- Cell Chemistry : Lithium Ion
- Capacity = 56 kWh
- Nominal Voltage = 648 V
- Peak Current = 1050 Amps
- Liquid cooled.
- 2 x TFT digital display with multi selectable touch screens
Cooling & HVAC:
- Multi-circuit heated & cooled glycol system for cabin, battery & driveline, incorporating high performance electric coolant pumps & aluminum radiators.
- Front - System 1 – Battery, System 2 – Front inverters, System 3 – Front rotors, System 4 – Front stators, System 6 – Cabin heating, System 7 – Air conditioning
- Rear - System 8 – Rear inverters, System 9 – Rear rotors, System 10 – Rear stators, System 11 – Range extender, charging inverter, DC/DC converter
- Bonded aluminum tub with high strength safety rollover cage. Removable front and rear subframes, incorporating billet machined & anodized aluminum interfaces.
- Billet machined aluminum unequal length double wishbones with Bilstein MDS adjustable motorsport coil over dampers & anti-roll bars front & rear.
- Power assisted rack & pinion, 2.25 turns lock to lock
- Reach & rake adjustable steering column
- 330mm suede cover sports steering wheel
- Front: 370x32mm ventilated grooved discs with 6 piston AP Racing calipers
- Rear: 328x30mm ventilated grooved discs with 4 piston AP Racing calipers.
- Brembo Park Brake calipers.
- Front - 9.5” x 20” Forged alloy or Dymag Boxstrom 7Y carbon hybrid
- Rear - 12.5” x 21” Forged alloy or Dymag Boxstrom 7Y carbon hybrid
- Front - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 -265/35/ZR21.
- Rear - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 -325/30/ZR21
- Lightweight carbon fiber hybrid adjustable sports seats with alcantara trim.
- Inertia reel seat belts
Click the link below for a full Press Release including history and further details on the HIPERCAR project:
With production to start within the next three years, we will update you on the status of the "HIPERCAR" development. Please click the link below for any questions: